FYI: Y'all have tunnel vision

Article: New species of wild cat discovered for first time in more than a century. It has been named Leopardus Tilcayo.
Locals who saw the creature in the Bolivian Andes had mistaken it for an ordinary house cat...The cat is the first feline discovered since the Uruguayan pampas cat in 1923.
So there's nothing we don't know yet about planet Earth because we have mapped everything etc. And that spotted cat must be a house cat.

Humans are absolutely terrible about imagining their limited life experience is all there is to the world. I write about that on Native Influence where I criticize White people for believing Natives cannot possibly have knowledge of species that White folks have yet to put in a zoo somewhere.

(FYI I'm neither White people nor Native. Like most TRUE Americans, I'm a mixed breed mutt.)

And from a post on that site, here is a link to an article about fifteen animals previously believed to be myths. Number one: The giant squid, also known as The Kraken in old monster stories.

Giant squid are a deep sea predator and an example of abyssal gigantism. I would bet there's a lot of as yet undiscovered species in deep waters, some quite large.

While we imagine that our inability to rapidly find new and previously undiscovered species is clearly evidence that it's the end of the world.

And at the same time, we decry interbreeding of species as another catastrophe. Here is an apparently dead article from seventeen years ago on Hacker News called Meet the Coywolf

I don't know how to readily find another article on Hacker News about this species as searching for coywolf mostly brings up articles about anything else on coywolf.com or coywolf.news, but my recollection is I was introduced to the concept some years ago by some hand wringing piece posted to Hacker News about this "new" species.

FYI, the Wikipedia article currently SAYS this new species: 
...genetically diverged relatively recently (around 55,000–117,000 years ago). Genomic studies indicate that nearly all North American gray wolf populations possess some degree of admixture with coyotes ...
And let's not forget the enormous tragedy that brown bears and polar bears are interbreeding!!! Clearly, the demise of the polar bear is currently in progress as global warming AKA human caused climate change ruins the special environment they were designed for.

Rather than quoting that guy in Jurassic Park: Life finds a way. And noting that we are witnessing the birth of a new species.

Six years ago, I posted an article titled Namibian Desert Lions Spotted Hunting and Eating Marine Creatures to Hacker News. It has six karma (AKA a mere five upvotes) and ZERO comments.

Because we are ALL far too busy catastrophizing and handing stupid awards to stupid celebrities for PERFORMATIVE environmentalism to stop and smell the roses or count our blessings or see anything positive anywhere.

No, it's OBVIOUSLY all bad news ALL the time. That's your story. You're sticking to it.

Don't let an environmental studies major confuse you with the facts. That might like cost your therapist his job or something.



Comments